[AZ-Observing] Chi Cygni at Maximum

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 9:11:17 -0400

On another forum, Brian Skiff mentioned that the Mira-type variable star Chi
Cygni is near maximum.  It is located very near the zenith at 4 a.m.,  just
before dawn.  We took a look this morning, and it's obvious from Tempe, even
though the Cygnus Milky Way is an averted vision haze.  Chi Cygni is
conveniently located along the cross, closer to Alberio than the ever-present
Eta Cygni.  To my eyes, Chi appeared just slightly brighter than Alberio,
although measurements show them both at magnitude 3.9.

The brightness of Chi Cygni may be plotted using AAVSO's Light Curve Generator.

http://www.aavso.org/data/lcg/

Simply enter "Chi Cyg" and some number of days.  Entering 4000 days shows ten
cycles, whose maxima range from 3rd to 5th magnitude.

Tom