[AZ-Observing] Cherry Road last night

  • From: <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 21:47:38 -0400

We had a pretty good turnout lasdt night at Cherry II. I  was joined by Steve
Perry, Dan Gruber, rich Walker, Steve McAllister, Charlie Whiting Jack Jones &
mark (Sorry, he's a new member and I didn't get his last name).

The seeing was a bit soft but the transparency was good and I spent the night
working through some H400 galaxies in Ursa Major. It was one of those rare
night where the Sky Commander & platform were one. I got a good alignment from
the get go and the platform reset function worked like a charm all night. I
never had to realigne the platform once and the Sky commander was putting
things right in the eyepiece all night.

By the time I was done I had observed 27 objects through 21 Observations. had a
Couple of Twofers in there. I thought I had knocked off all the remaining
H400's in UMA but after entering my observation, I realize I still have 7 to
go. This brings me down to 77 H400's left, the bulk (39) in Virggo & Coma
Berenices (16). It's getting close..

After finishing up I visited around a bit and tried out jack Jones' Couch
Potato Biocular Chair. This was a fun little swirl around the sky, Once you
figured out how to get into the thing. It does a good job of holding the Big
Bino (20x80's, I thnk) steady. I think the only thing I'd add is a spot for a
telrad to help aim.

We all left with the Moon  after a really enjoyable night of observing. Hope
the folks up at the canyon had as good a time.

Clear Skies
Rick