[AZ-Observing] Re: Cherry Road Tonight

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 11:20:06 -0700

I had* a friend in Coppel, TX (a town just north of the DFW Airport) who had
a Questar scope.  Just after 9/11/01, he was setting up in the backyard.
About dark, he got a loud knock at the gate and heard a voice said, "Open
up, Police!" He opened the gate to find a policeman staring him in the face
with his flashlight on full. Chuck said, "Something wrong?" The cop replied,
"We got a call from a neighbor that said you were setting up a mortar. Since
you are on the approach lane to DFW, I need to ask you some questions!"

Chuck invited the cop over to his telescope and said, "This is probably what
the neighbor saw" and invited the cop to look at a few night sky wonders.
After 5 minutes, the officer apologized and thanked Chuck for the amazing
views, then got back in his car and continued his beat.

---------
* Chuck died last year, sorry to say.

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona