[AZ-Observing] Re: Cherry Road Site - Lat and Long?

  • From: Tim Jones <tjmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:50:53 -0700

On Jun 30, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Victor Herrero wrote:

> You may also enter decimal lat/long in Google Maps (west long negative):
> 34.51556, -112.08500
> instead of :
> 34º 30' 56"N 112º 5' 6"W

But, we didn't have the decimal values at that time :-)...

> I do this frequently.
>
> If you right click on a map point, and click "what's here", you get the
> decimal format lat/long.

That's a good tip.  I didn't know that (here comes the green slime - you won't
get that if you don't have kids)

> The coordinates appear about 200 feet east of South Old Cherry Road in the
> Google Map.

Yep - that's almost exactly where Bob and I pitched our tent last time up.  The
only thing missing are the fire ant hills.

> For highest accuracy in Google Maps, the Geodetic System Datum must be
> WGS84:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AGEO

I'm not sure what we were supposed to glean from that if we're not creating a
Wikipedia article.  It appears that the WGS84 only adds flattening to the
equation to take into account elevation.    Any clarification for us non-GEO
Cachers?

Tim