[AZ-Observing] Re: Cherry Road Problem

  • From: Brent A Archinal <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:58:32 -0700

Steve, et al. -

A couple of good sites, but further north on I-17, include the Beaver Creek
Trailhead parking lot (in the Verde Valley) and the Willard Springs site
(about 20 miles south of Flagstaff).  Some info about these sites is on the
CAS website at http://www.lowell.edu/cas/frame_observing.html .

The Beaver Creek site is simple to reach, and probably only about 15-20
minutes further on I-17 than Cherry Road.  Just go to the Sedona exit
(#298) and turn right (east, _away_ from Sedona).  About 2 1/2 miles on the
left is the signed turn off to the trailhead, about 0.4 miles in on a good
dirt road.  Not a tremendous amount of space and some uneven ground, but
I've seen ~20 cars parked there.  The catch may be that parking during the
day when the trail is in use may be tight.

The Sedona Sirius Lookers also have a good site (they call "Two Trees") in
the Verde Valley, between Sedona and Cottonwood just off US 89.  Go to
http://www.users.qwest.net/~emwalczak/ and click on "events" to get
directions and maps.  It's more out of the way though from either north or
south, as either way it requires a drive from I-17 over to US 89.

Anyway, I'm considering coming down to the Cherry Road site tonight if
folks are still planning to go there.  It would be nice to see some of you
from the valley as well as to get out and do some observing.  I'm a little
worried about the high berm given what's been written on the list, but I
haven't had too much trouble getting over what I thought was the high berm
that was there previously.  In any case, I'll be watching for further
e-mail to see if there's any more info about that site or others.

- Brent