[AZ-Observing] Cherry Road & Griffin Ranch

  • From: "Ken Sikes" <kengsikes@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Mail List" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "EVAC" <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "AZ Observing List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:21:23 -0700

I know many have a special fondness for the Cherry Road site for a summer
observing site, but how many have considered Griffin ranch as an alternative ?
Using the stack at I17 and I10 as a starting point it is 92 miles to the Cherry
Road site and 107 miles to Griffin Ranch.
The Griffin Ranch site is becoming a favorite for the east valley as the
central Phoenix traffic does not slow the trip. I also know that some stay the
night and others drive back to Phoenix after a night of observing. Using the
Bortle Scale as a gauge Cherry Road is a Green site mag 6.2 to 6.5 where as
Griffin Ranch is a Black site mag 7.1 to 7.5. The worst part of going to
Griffin Ranch is climbing the mountain out of Superior to  Globe, but one also
has to negotiate the climb from Rock Springs to Sunset point to go to Cherry
Road. I have been to both sites, and I must say that Griffin Ranch wins my vote

Ken Sikes