[AZ-Observing] Cherry Rd - last night, again

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:56:49 -0700

Sorry for the accidental posting of incomplete message.  I'll pickup where it
left off -

I made a number of galaxy observations in Draco, all from 220X to 290X
in the 14.5".  One of the notable ones was NGC5981/82/85 all withing a 15
arc-minute field and in a pretty straight line.

NGC 5891, the smaller and fainter of the three is very elongated and pretty
faint.  I judged its size at 2'X0.5' and magniutde 12.5.  There is a nice 10th
mag star on one side and a 14th on the other.

NGC5982, the middle one; is moderately bright and almost round.  Again I judged
it at 3'X3' and 12th mag with a faint star to the east.

NGC5985, the eastern most and showing most detail.  It is moderately bright and
pretty large and has a gradually little brighter middle but, in moments of good
seeing and using averted vision, the nucleus was much brighter.  I judged its
size at 6'X4' and mag at 10.

I can't forget to mention the view of the North American Nebula at 17X in Rick
Tejera's ETX.  T'was very easy to see!

It was an extremely enjoyable observing session and all seemed to have a great
time!

aj