[AZ-Observing] Cherry Rd for Saturday Night

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:07:54 -0700

Interestingly, the forecast for Saturday night for the Prescott area,
which includes my observatory and the Cherry Rd site, is for mostly clear
skies.
However, it looks like it could be very windy. The forecast contrasts with
the one for Happy Jack which still forecasts partly cloudy skies, although
the chance of thunderstorms has dropped from 20% to 10%.

It appears we are in an improving trend and would not be surprised if 5MM
ends up with clear skies for the night. It seems the Natl Weather service
is reluctant to quickly modify their forecasts. I remember once, years ago,
when I was planning a star party at my observatory. This was when we had the
hurricane scare and some of the state government buildings were sand bagged.
I was in a conflict of whether to call it off or not. The forecast was for
rain, cloudy skies, and strong winds. While they kept repeating this forecast
in all their 6(?) hour updates, I would go outside in Phoenix (when I was
working there) and saw that the storm was clearly in the process of blowing
away.
Sure enough, the night was completely clear and calm when got to my
observatory that Friday evening. Unfortunately, I had earlier canceled
the star party because of their very faulty forecasts, which seems to
be a product of some inertia in incorporating actual weather conditions
into their forecast.
Stan

AZZ008-192315-
 YAVAPAI COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
 INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PRESCOTT...SELIGMAN...ASH FORK
 845 AM MST FRI JUN 19 2009
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 49 TO 55. SOUTHWEST WINDS
 AROUND 15 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH IN THE EVENING.

AZZ016-192315-
 EASTERN MOGOLLON RIM-
 INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HEBER...HAPPY JACK...FOREST LAKES
 845 AM MST FRI JUN 19 2009
.SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. A 10 PERCENT CHANCE OF
 THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING. LOWS 45 TO 51. SOUTHWEST WINDS
 AROUND 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH IN THE EVENING BECOMING
 LIGHT.