[AZ-Observing] Re: Cherry Rd Sat. Nite...

  • From: "Spicastar" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:17:39 -0700

Just returned from Cherry Rd and it was excellent, a great observing site
and only 75 miles away! It's actually only 8 miles further than the Dugas
site, but without the 7 miles of bad road and the cow pies. I would still be
up there but I've got familial duties today. I suggest leaving as early as
possible. Friday it was a 2 1/2 hr drive. There were backups at Carefree
Hwy, Blk Canyon City and the road up the mountain. It should be better
today, but I saw heavy oncoming traffic this morning. Only an hour and 5
minutes to come back, zero traffic!

Sky was very transparent, pretty turbulent, and very dark.  Small light dome
to the S.  It was good to get above the gunk, and it was surprising how
quickly the stars came out at twilight.  They say long ago people could
easily see Venus in the daytime, the atmosphere was so clear. The insect
problem was not bad at all like last year. There was a slight breeze, that
helped, and very cold toward morning. Bring the long johns.

Jack

> Hey Thad and Others,
>
> Cherry Rd on Saturday sounds like a great idea, it's been a long time
since
> I was there.
> ( Also, it will be good to get out of the heat!)
>
> Dave Steiner
>

>          That was my idea to get out of the heat, Cherry Rd site ought to
be
> 20 deg cooler than the dersert and your up above the gunk layer too.  :-)
>
>           Clear Cool Skies
>           Dwight L Bogan

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.