[AZ-Observing] Re: Cherry Rd -Friday Night

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:02:29 -0700

Gosh Brian,

Hope you didn't have to type that all out! Interesting to see how this has
taken on a life of it's own. As I pointed out earlier, people in general a
uncomfortable with the idea of fire arms, hence forth I normally don't
discuss them nor prominently display any that I might have. It's either one
of those subjects people understand or they don't and it a personal
preference. I also consider that they are far more hazardous to the
untrained than having nothing at all.
As a forth generation native and a descendant of Arizona cowboys a side arm
was always a tool available. As a pilot it was part of the survival gear
should one be forced down a fair piece from civilization. As a wanderer in
the wilderness it was security as there would most likely be nobody around
if one was "unlucky" and sometimes it how we got lunch. If in a bad straight
being ask for my wallet or having myself carjacked, they can have my wallet
or my car as it's not a capital offence nor is it worth the drama on my life
or theirs.
We have a general rule (suggestion?) that we never observe alone, I followed
it. Stan shared his concern for my safety, I shared my observations as to
why I didn't think it was overly threatening and even if it was I was not
without means of protection. If there had been a couple of us out there I
may have walked over to the bush and said "Hi". In this case I chose not to
escalate anything and mind my business as he was probably making sure his
land (BLM?) was safe. I have always pointed out the safety of groups and the
provability of any threat to a group is practically "Nil". When at a star
party I feel as safe there as I do in my own bed. In fact any "artillery" is
locked away as it is considered unnecessary. As well as most other times in
my travels.
Next time I'll probably share something a little safer, like politics or
religion ;-)

Is there anyone doing any observing out there or did I accidentally wind up
on the "NRA" list :-)

Jimmy Ray