[AZ-Observing] Re: Cherry Rd -Friday Night

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:14:37 -0700

Hello Jennifer,
It appears this is becoming a debate so let me put my 2 cents in. I feel
I have lived to an age older than you for two reasons, luck and being
aware of and being prepared for the unexpected. For example, when age 14
or so while butterfly collecting in a wash outside of Roswell, NM I saw
a mountain lion tail disappear over a bluff about a hundred yards from
me. I was alone and this was not a hiking spot with other hikers that in
itself would tend to scare away wildlife like this. Lucky for me it ran
off instead of making me a meal. It was luck because now we read about
hikers or bicyclists being attacked by mountain lions. An example of
being prepared for the unexpected are the Grizzlies in Yellowstone Natl
Park. I had camped out in the area in 1996 and at that time they had not
reintroduced the Grizzly, or if they had they were not very abundant.
Now, there are over 1800 of them roaming around. Carrying a gun will not
do much good against a charging Grizzly, in my opinion, but knowing that
I now have a much greater chance of running into one I am going to be
extra cautious about where I go and what I do. Anytime I am not in an
area with other people, like a hiking trail where other hikers help
scare off dangerous 4 legged wildlife or 2 legged wildlife with evil
intentions, and being completely alone I will carry something to
discourage an attack, or to give me a little protection or a fighting
chance, be it a hunting knife or gun.

It is for these reasons I feel I have lived to an age older than you
<g>. Of course, some people, not talking about you, may live to a ripe
old age because of pure luck alone. They then might acquire the mistaken
notion that because they never ran into a dangerous situation there is
no danger out 'there' and that the knife or gun wielders are really over
reacting and being foolish. As an aside, speaking of the city life, when
I was living in Phoenix I would every once in awhile go for extended
walks at night. One always reads in the paper about attacks by pit
bulls. Knowing this I always carried my hunting knife with me. Some may
have considered me foolish, but then look at all the women who go for
walks with one or more dogs for protection.
Stan