[AZ-Observing] Re: Celestron White Paper on their HD Technology - a Good Read

  • From: Klaus Brasch <krbrasch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:05:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Having owned and used a C-11 HD for three years now, I can attest that the
white paper is honest and accurate in all aspects. For a more detailed review
see pg 69 in the Jan-Feb 2012 issue of Astronomy Technology Today
(www.astronomytechnologytoday.com).

I have previously owned and imaged with several older Celestron SCTs, including
a classic 10, and more modern C-11 and C-14. The HD version is significantly
better in all respects, both visually and for imaging. Better contrast, very
flat field, no coma. Visually it's more like an 11-inch apo refractor, totally
color free, with pin point stars across the fov. For imaging there is no
comparison. A focal reducer, either from Celestron (0.7 X) or Optec Lepus 0.62
x) is essential for imaging wider fields, etc.

The passive vents and mirror locks also work very well, although mirror flop is
not totally eliminated. All in all a fine instrument.

Klaus