[AZ-Observing] Re: Canon Astro Camera

  • From: Tim Jones <tjmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:59:03 -0700

Hey Mike,

Feeling a bit feisty were we?  Since you seem to have taken exception to my
simple observation, I thought I'd provide a bit more explanation for my
thinking on this.

Before everyone starts assuming that I'm against the Canon effort, I definitely
think the 60Da is a welcome product.  Anything that promotes and supports
astronomy (amateur and otherwise) is always good news.  My comment was simply
related to using "yesterday's tech" in an expensive (relatively) body when
newer tech and lower cost bodies are readily available.

While I agree that the voiding of the warranty on a Hap-modified camera will
bother some users, being able to get 2 for 1 and smile all the while is a big
thing to some folks; or saving $639 without buying the second camera and
putting that money aside as your "warranty" replacement fund.  So far as
supported or acknowledged, I'm not exactly sure how those two terms matter
since you can get far better Canon support (Q&A) from various user groups /
forums than from Canon's canned response support team.

When the 20Da was released, there weren't a number of "other" options
available.  When you've got the only game in town, it's really easy to become a
success, but even it's sales were only in the low 1,000's.  However, what
signifies success to a company that creates devices that normally sell in the
millions of units?  I don't suspect that low 1,000s is a positive milestone to
a company like Canon, otherwise, we wouldn't have seen the 20Da pulled.

My comment about the DIGIC 4+ is related to the fact that the DIGIC 5+ has
already been released in the professional grade EOS 1D X and the EOS 5D Mark
III and the PowerShot family S100 and SX40 IS/HS, so why go with the older chip
and circuit and the more expensive body (my suspicion is they had a lot of 60D
bodies)?  Plus, DIGIC 5+ has a new automatic white balance algorithm, 75%
better noise reduction resulting in much cleaner images at very high speeds
(ISO 1600+), improved processing speed for faster downloads, and more
flexibility in processing the incoming photons.

Also, to your question about handling the higher H⍺ response I refer you to
Hap's presentation on modifying DSLR's:

        http://www.rocklandastronomy.com/NEAIC/talks/Hap_Griffin.pdf

Combined with his other discussions, my suspicion is that the current level of
software in the cameras don't have a problem with the unfiltered levels.

BTW - referring to the Hap Griffin or Hutech modded cameras as "some garage
modified aftermarket science experiment" is a bit presumptuous on your part.
And, Hutech fully warrants their modified cameras.

As to Tom's comment about the "marketing genius" at Canon - it doesn't take a
marketing genius to get a product into production at an organization like
Canon.  When you have the levels of success that they have, you can afford to
make a product for a niche and be satisfied with the press attention when
there's not a lot of other great things going on in the digital camera world-
call it "buying eyeballs".  Even if the camera fails, the release has already
gotten Canon positive press in 100's if not 1,000's of venues that would not
normally even notice a Canon press release.  I'm not implying that I expect
this is the reason for the release and I don't mean that this lessens the value
of the 60Da to buyers looking for that solution, just that Canon may not be too
worried about the camera's level of sales success.  I've been involved with
this type of marketing with multi-billion dollar companies for almost 30 years,
so I'm not just guessing here.

However, if the company is serious about creating a very successful product and
if I was the Canon exec responsible for this, I would have chosen the lower
cost body and aimed at a much larger potential buyer segment.  While the 100's
of "Adam Block's" of our world might jump on a $1,500 camera, the number of
amateurs looking for a $500 camera is much larger and growing.

I'll be very happy if the new 60Da becomes a huge success for Canon because it
might warrant them examining a lower cost body with a similar modification, but
I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Tim