[AZ-Observing] Can you help?

  • From: "Ted Forte" <tedforte511@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 08:48:34 -0700

Merry Christmas everyone.

I'm writing to enlist your help in fighting a threat to the skies over
southeastern Arizona.

The City of Sierra Vista AZ seems poised to move ahead on lifting a
prohibition on digital signs that has existed for years.  Some local
businesses have been pushing for them.  A task force has been formed to make
recommendations about how to incorporate this relatively new technology into
the city's lighting code.   That group seems predisposed to approve
modifying the current city codes on outdoor lighting to allow digital
electronic signs.

An even more serious concern is that Cochise County could follow suit.  Our
contacts at  Planning and Zoning hint that the county is also considering
modifications to the lighting codes to address digital signs.  They  are
waiting to see how Sierra Vista moves forward.

You can be of great help to us in this fight.

First, we would like to hear from you If you have an observatory in or
immediately adjacent to Cochise County.  We are compiling a list of amateur
observatories in the county to share with city and county officials.  (We
are up to 53 so far).    If you don't think we have your facility please
contact me off list (tedforte511 at gmail.com) and let me know whatever you
can share about your observatory, instruments and observing interests.

Second, please consider contacting the Mayor and City Council of Sierra
Vista and urge them to prohibit new digital electronic signs.
(MayorandCouncil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ) If you contact me, I can send you a
list of facts and talking points to consider.  You can find the names and
individual emails for members of the council here:
http://www.sierravistaaz.gov/department/?structureid=2

Thanks so much.

Ted Forte

Huachuca Astronomy Club