[AZ-Observing] Re: Camera Defects

  • From: "Matt" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:18:03 -0700

Stan,

I have done extensive research on the merits of class 2 vs class one ccd
cameras and came to the conclusion that class2 chips do a fine job; you just
have to process the defects out.

That said, I agree that Kodak fails to report in their literature the true
visual appearance of unprocessed images, particularly darks.  Luckily SBIG
is honest enough to post dark frames on their Website so the uninitiated
imager can see what a single frame looks like.  It can be pretty horrific.

If I hadn't seen SBIG's images and also elsewhere(Rod Wodaski's book, for
one) I would have thought my new-to-me ST2000XM class 2 was broken when I
exposed a cooled dark for the first time. The chip has multiple vertical
lines, a top-down gradient, etc . . .  Even being prepared, I was
momentarily dismayed.

Until I processed the image. Hopefully I am not being too obvious, but
modern image processing involves a series of minor technical miracles, and
the end result of a well-exposed and processed stack of subs is truly
inspirational to me.

Almost all of my imaging heroes use class 2 chips.  I just don't think the
high $ premium for class 1 is worth it.  Also, I think you lose the
difference in price upon resale.  I have seen class 1 cameras languish on
A-Mart because people will pay only so much for a used STL11000, for
example, and don't really care about class.

Now this reminds me of a Rodney Dangerfield joke . . .

From the cinema classic Back to School

Rodney to college professor:

"Let's get together later, when you've got no class."

Ba-bump

Matt