[AZ-Observing] Re: CGEM -DX

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 16:33:39 -0700

Ken, David, Jim, et al;

I have had exactly one evening of using my new CGEM before the storm
front moved in.  I plan to use it more over new moon.  We shall see.

It worked just fine, same as my old one.  I know that Dean at Starizona
looked it over, set the gear mesh distances, updated the firmward and
lubed the mount.

Ken, I know that you are looking for really accurate tracking to do
some photometry with the 10 inch Meade.  It is possible that no mount in
this price range will do what you want.  I know the price of CGEM Pro or
Astrophysics mount.  They would certainly do the job, but at probably
more than you want to pay.  Maybe a used version of one of those.

Can you do what you want with less aperture?  Maybe an 8 inch or even 6
inch could provide enough photons to allow you to get accurate
measurements?  I promise I am just trying to be helpful.  Less aperture
would allow the CGEM to work smoother.

Just thinking;
Steve Coe