[AZ-Observing] Re: By The Light of The Southerly Moon

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:41:54 -0700

Tom and Brian;

I have had two times in the last month were the position of the Moon =
seemed
quite far from the ecliptic.  The first was last night; the Moon rarely
shines directly into the south-facing glass doors on my house.  I got up
from the computer to fix a sandwich at about 11PM and noticed a LOT of
moonshine through those windows.  When I let the dog into the backyard =
it
was also immediately obvious how low the Moon was--near the palm trees =
in my
neighbor's yard.

The other instance was having the crescent Moon near the zenith for a =
public
viewing session about 10 days ago.  That is also an unusual position for =
the
Moon to be located at during that phase.

Ain't that weird?
Steve Coe