[AZ-Observing] By The Light of The Southerly Moon

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:14:52 -0400

During the past few mornings, the waning moon has been shining in the south
windows of our house.  It seemed like it was really far south, especially as I
was watching it set over the Estrellas this morning.  It turns out that it is
about as far south as it gets.

I plugged a time range into the JPL Horizons Ephemeris Generator
(http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.html).  It shows the moon reaching a
declination as southerly as -29d 11' tomorrow at 4 a.m., when it will also be
due south.  This is more than 5 1/2 degrees farther south than the sun's Winter
Solstice declination.

What this means to weekend observers is that we will have a Last Quarter moon
that waits until 2 a.m. to rise on Sunday morning.

Tom