[AZ-Observing] Re: Bright lights on AZ-Mex Border

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:36:54 -0700

That would have been either Dr. David Crawford or Dr. Tim Hunter, the
two co-founders of the International Dark Sky Association.  "Win-Win" is
Dr. Crawford's "patented" attribution for effective compromise lighting
control solutions.  Thanks principally to his early efforts, the
statewide municipal and county lighting ordinances became law, and the
Mount Graham Observatory (MG) and the Large Binocular Telescope (LBT)
became a reality.
Dr. Crawford is a retired professional astronomer with a long and
distinguished scientific career at Kitt Peak National Observatory, noted
for his continuation and extension of the photometric standard star
observations established by Dr. Johnson.  Late in his professional
career he was assigned the task of facilitating statewide lighting
control ordinances to facilitate the MGO.  His collaborator, Dr. Tim
Hunter is a Medical Doctor (specializing in radiology) associated with
the U. of Arizona Medical Center, and an experienced amateur
astrophotographer, who maintains and operates two private observatories
in southern Arizona.  Both men are very effective speakers who have
championed the lighting ordinances.

Gene Lucas
(17250)