[AZ-Observing] Re: Breezy Antennas

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:01:44 -0700

Good luck with that wind. NWS has most of AZ "breezy" for several days
yet, in fact, all the way to Tuesday. Not like I expect it to end there.

Had a "gifted" second grader up here to New River to interview me about
dwarf planets for a school project. It was daytime, so I had my
Takahashi set up on Cardinal Stadium in Glendale, which I can just see
through a valley in the mountains. I'm at 2200 feet, so the scope was
actually pointed slightly below horizontal. You could see it, but the
kid asked why everything was so blurry. Gave him a little extra lesson
on "seeing" and how it can be affected by dust in the air. On a good
day, I can make out fixtures and other details on the dome. But with all
the dust in the air, the dome itself was barely visible.

Good luck out there all. Hope you can get some decent observing in.

Dan Heim