[AZ-Observing] Blue Hills's Observatory Solstice Star Party

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:47:48 -0700

Yesterday afternoon David Fredericksen and I headed to Stan Gorodenski's
Blue Hills Observatory in Dewey, AZ, elevation 5200 ft, for a Solstice
Star Party.  The property is on a ridge overlooking a vast picturesque
valley.  Stan showed his observatory, and an excellent one it is; all
construction done by himself.

It was also scheduled as a pot luck dinner and there was no shortage of
food.

Before observing began in earnest, Jennifer Keller had interview about
33 folks - from a number of places.  These included not only SAC, but
there we folks from Verde Valley and Phoenix Astronomical Society.  Also
invited were Stan's friends and neighbors from Phoenix and Dewey.

Although there was limited parking space, care was taken by all to
ensure no one was left out.

By sunset the slight wind began to subside and the temperature began to
dip - a welcome respite from the Sonoran Desert.  Before long the heavy
shirts and jackets came out.  During the evening seeing and transparency
both climbed to 7's when there were neither neighborhood lights nor
local traffic.

Early on I spent time chatting and showing others what ever they were
interested and, amongst them were Omega Centauri - despite it being past
the central meridian - and the Ring.  Also show was M13 and the
propeller.

My primary observing program was Boötes, as discussed in SAC newsletter,
but I discovered the list was left home (where's the checklist?).
Fortunately Jennifer had a copy of the newsletter and let me borrow it;
after which I completed most of the list.

After scanning the Milky Way, watching Mars and moon rise I called it a
night.

Sunday morning we had breakfast then I headed home; Jennifer and kids to
GCSP and Rick Rotramel to six-four observatory.

I had time for a short nap at home, then unloaded the truck.  Now its
time for another nap before trying to organize two nights observing
notes.

I got a message from Stan and left behind were small clear plastic
compass and a pair of tan or amber tinted sunglasses.  Stan will bring
them to the next meeting in hopes they will find their way back to the
rightful owner.

Now for more rest,
aj