[AZ-Observing] Binary Star Spreadsheet Update

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:06:22 -0700

Four years ago, I placed a binary star spreadsheet by Phoenix area amateur
astronomer Brian Workman on my site.  It uses orbital elements from the
"Fourth Catalogue of Orbits of Visual Binary Stars" to compute separations
and position angles for any date.  It also creates an orbital diagram with
the position at the date of interest highlighted.

Thanks to an alert by Bertrand Laville in France, I have uploaded elements
from the "Sixth Catalogue of Orbits of Visual Binary Stars" to the
spreadsheet.  This represents a near doubling of the number of entries to
1721 binaries.  The spreadsheet may be downloaded in either Excel 2000 or
Excel 5.0 format from:

http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/binaries.html

Tom

---