[AZ-Observing] Bausch & Lomb

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:52:22 -0800

Probably about 10 years ago I bought a 4" f/12 Bausch and Lomb
catadioptic (I do not know the actual configuration, but it does have a
meniscus with the secondary attached to it) telescope at the swap meet
at RTMC. It never has given very good images which is probably why it
was being sold. Although the images may not be good for astronomical
stuff, it should be good enough to align everything on my 12.5"
Dall-Kirkham after taking the mirrors out for cleaning.

I discovered the secondary image was off center quite a bit when looking
through the back end of the telescope. I got it fairly centered by
adjusting the secondary allen screws. Then I discovered the whole
meniscus-secondary assembly moved in the cell quite a bit if I lightly
pushed on the secondary housing. When I went to tighten down the large
treaded ring, the rubber spacer between the ring and the meniscus
started squishing out. I popped it back in place, and in the process of
doing so I discovered it is sticky and a somewhat slimy. Thus, probably
if I set the telescope on its side, the meniscus-secondary assembly will
slowly drop down with the result that the telescope will again be out of
alignment. If I try to prevent this by tightening down the large ring
even more, then the rubber spacer will start squishing out.

Questions: Could this easily be corrected by discarding the rubber seal
and cut out and put in a spacer made of thick automotive gasket
material? Is there another solution someone may be able to suggest?
Stan