[AZ-Observing] Re: BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Light pollution forms 'eco-traps'

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:40:47 -0700

Fascinating study!  Daytime light pollution.  Who'da thunk?  The IDA only
recognized two forms of light pollution:  glare (direct light like your
neighbors unshielded porchlight), and sky-glow (the result of light directed
upwards).  I found nothing on their site about PLP.  I wonder if this
explains why so many birds fly into skyscrapers?  I've read skyscrapers
collisions kill WAY more birds than do wind turbines.

As DFAC considers fighting light pollution part of its main mission, I thank
you for bringing this to our attention.

Dan Heim
President
Desert Foothills Astronomy Club