[AZ-Observing] Re: Aztec Peak

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZOBS <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:27:38 -0700

  Hi Stan,

Ok if I add this to the map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=102983467099648817705.000485cdc1b6ea3c3d579

If I can locate it accurately enough.  Don't suppose you have
GPS coordinates?

Other question is that "wilderness areas" (at least the ones I camped
in in Oregon as a kid) prohibit ANY motorized equipment, i.e.,
"tote goats" (trail bikes), outboard motors, etc.  My High School
friends and
I were once camped at a lake in a wilderness area.  There were
two Forest Rangers and  a Game Warden also camped there.  About
2 PM, some guy from California started up a motorboat out on the
lake.  The rangers and warden met him when he got back to shore
and walked him and his family out.  the rangers told us it was going
to cost him about $600 in fines (Circa 1960 dollars...)

So how far in did you have to pack your scope?  :-)  Or can you
actually drive there legally?

Here is what I found so far:

Looks like Googlemaps does not know the road goes further?

Here is where they think end the of the road is with the "satellite"
option engaged.  What are the buildings?  Did you
drive through a ranch?

--

Thanks,

Howard, in Tempe AZ