[AZ-Observing] Aztec Peak

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:16:31 -0700

I just got back from an overnight trip. I made it up Aztec Peak in the
Sierra Ancha Mountains, Tonto National Forest. It looks like a very good
spot for observing. It is about 7700 ft. ele. There is plenty of open
flat areas to set up a telescope, and it does not appear there are ever
any problems with no-seeums and chiggers. The person working in the
lookout tower said there have been amateur astronomers that observed
there, and it is okay to come up to camp out or observe. I am guessing
travel on dirt road would be no more than 10 miles, if one comes up from
the south between Miami and Globe. I think it was in the early 1990's
that was the last time I have been there. At that time it was almost all
dirt road. Now it is almost paved road. The last mile or so to the top
of Aztec Peak is  not for the faint of heart, but I got up there without
a problem, campers come up there, and amateur astronomers have already
been there. Maybe someone on this list has some insight into how good an
area it is, but I would be interested in joining a group to this mountain.
Stan