[AZ-Observing] Auxiliary Scope, Widefield & Photography

  • From: "Bill VanOrden" <beevo1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:31:49 -0700

A little while back I posted on the group a request for suggestions on a aux
scope for my 10" SCT that could be used for a variety of information.  I
also posed the question to a couple of people at the EVAC Xmas party.
Taking all the information into account as well as bank balances I selected
the following (80mm model):

http://www.meade.com/APO/index.html

My criteria was (in order of importance):

I wanted to buy the scope ONCE!  Having purchased two units for this
capacity over the last few years, I now knew what I wanted.  500mm to 600mm
focal length, fast focal ratio.

Clean images when using a camera as well as visually, APO if at all
possible.

2" focuser and diagonal (I have a lot of 2" skirted eyepieces).

Weight as far under 6lbs as possible.

Cost (preferably under $800)

Could be used as a camera lens if desired or as a spotting scope.

Well I got most of this I think, 480mm, f6, 2" focuser with a 2" enhanced
99% diagonal, 7.2lbs (with the diagonal), $699.

Many thanks to Chris Schur for tolerating my continuous stream of
questions.....

Beevo (aka Bill VanOrden)