[AZ-Observing] Re: Aurorae underway

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:09:55 -0400

Jenn and I are in Alaska through the end of this week.  While a trip up toward
Fairbanks means an 80% chance of seeing the aurorae, we opted for the southern
leg of our trip to the Kenai Peninsula for the past four days -- two in Seward
and two in beautiful Homer.  The first night in Homer (Saturday) began partly
cloudy, and miraculously cleared by 11 p.m.

We were treated to an all-sky display with the southern edge of the lights
about 10 degrees above the southern horizon.  What was the most striking was
how rapidly the pulsations moved from the horizon to the magnetic zenith (just
south of the zenith).  At the peak of the all-night display, these took only a
couple tenths of a second.  Also very striking was the convergence of the rays
of the curtain.  It's an illusion much like crepuscular rays.  The most
prominent color was the usual lime green, but the fringes were magenta, which
Jenn's eyes saw much better than mine.

Jeff Medkeff, at whose house we are again staying, said this was among the best
half dozen displays he has seen in his 18 months near Anchorage.

I'll post some pictures when we return.

Just can't express how happy both of us are to have seen this display.

Tom