[AZ-Observing] Re: Attn ATMs

  • From: "Joe Macke" <joe01@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 05:20:39 -0700

I did some looking on the Internet regarding the copyright issue.  I found a
very useful web site, although it is aimed at government employees.
(http://www.dtic.mil/cendi/publications/00-3copyright.html) It is a FAQ on
copyright questions.  It says that the government is prohibited from
claiming copyright on work created by government employees in the course of
their duties.  It also says that work done under government contract DOES
NOT NECESSARILY carry the same limitation.  The contractor can retain rights
to that work.  At least that is the way the current FARs (Federal
Acquisition Regulations) read.

This site also points to another (http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm)
titled "When works pass into the Public Domain."  It says that works
published between 1923 and 1963, IF PUBLISHED WITH NOTICE are copyrighted
for "28 years + could be renewed for 47 years, now extended by 20 years for
a total renewal of 67 years. If not so renewed, now in public domain".

As previously noted, MIL-HDBK-141 does not claim copyright, but notes that
it includes copyright material.  I went through the entire 630 pages (not
the 750 I said before) and it appears to me that the copyrighted material is
almost exclusively illustrations taken from technical journals.  All of
which were, of course, published prior to the 1962 date of the handbook's
publication.  So, theoretically, that material could still be copyrighted.

So my interpretation is that most of the handbook is in the public domain
since it was published without a copyright notice.  The figures MAY still be
copyrighted, if the original owner of the copyright has renewed the
copyright.  I would guess that the permission to use the copyright material
would carry on in the public domain handbook if it is kept in the book and
the citations are left intact.  Of course, it is convenient for me to make
that assumption.

I did go looking for one of the publication's web site.  I located the
association's site (American Optometry Society or something like that.)  The
publication has changed names at least twice since the articles containing
the material were originally published.  The present publisher's site does
not index articles prior to 1966.  There was no link to inquire about
copyright permissions.  I fell asleep before I accomplished anything
further.

This is beginning to sound like a situation where it would be easier to get
forgiveness than permission.

And, again, to keep this somewhat on topic, I looked at the stars tonight.
They were very pretty, especially Sirius.

Joe