[AZ-Observing] Re: Atlas rocket launch

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:32:57 -0700

Dan,

No joy from Glendale, I had apparently incorrectly guessed that the delay in
launch made it too dark to have the exhaust plume illuminated.

Not really sure about the northward turn. All launches from VDB are to the
south for safety reasons. A northward trajectory would send it over
populated areas. Not to mention the prodigious amount of fuel such a turn
would take and the structural stress.

My suspicion is that was the booster drifting after staging. I'm curious.
I'll look into it a bit and if I find anything out, I'll post here.

Clear Skies

Rick Tejera

Editor SACnews,

Public Outreach Coordinator

Saguaro Astronomy Club

Phoenix, Arizona

www.saguaroastro.org

saguaroastro@xxxxxxx

K7TEJ

On Behalf Of Dan Heim
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 17:13
To: AZ Observing
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Atlas rocket launch

Fellow Stargazers,

That Atlas rocket launch from Vandenberg on Monday was clearly visible

from here in New River. I shot a 1 second interval time-lapse, and

caught some good images. Lacking SRBs, there ain't much of a trail from

an Atlas, but you can clearly see when the booster goes out and the

craft veers northward, no doubt into a polar orbit as this was an NRO

satellite. Since I was using a fixed shutter setting of 1.5 seconds, the

acceleration shows as increasingly longer "smears" of the image, the

payload at that point only reflecting sunlight. See it at:

http://www.dfacaz.org/astrophotos.html

It's third from the bottom in the list.

Dan Heim