[AZ-Observing] At Last

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Az-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:10:50 -0700

Some of you know I bought land in New Mexico in December 2005. It is
near Datil on Horse Mountain. I always wondered why it is called Horse
Mountain. Who would like the observatory they have on a mountain that
has a horsey feel to it because of the name? I think the reason it is
called this is because at a certain time of the year the flies are
terrible, and since flies are around horses the way they are kept in
rural areas this is probably how the name originated. Just guessing.

This is one of the darkest sites around, at 8,000 ft ele. and as far as
I could tell, without monitoring things, the seeing is pretty good. One
can see the VLA from the subdivision. It has been difficult to do any
construction because of the distance from my home in Dewey, building
requirements by the state (they require a licensed contractor to do
electrical and plumbing, contrary to Yavapai county Dewey is in),
because of the remoteness of the area it is hard to find reputable
construction workers, and a hardware store and a building materials
store is 80 miles away in Socorro.

Finally, after all these years my observatory will happen. It will be
the same size and design as the one in Dewey. Ground breaking should
occur in a week or two for the observatory. As a result, I am now on the
look out for a dome. I will probably have to make one myself like I did
for the observatory in Dewey, but if I do it would be simpler than the
one I made for the Dewey observatory. If any of you know of someone who
has a metal (it has to be metal, not fiberglass) dome they are getting
rid of, 10' to 12' in diameter, I would appreciate knowing about it.
Stan