[AZ-Observing] At 8400 feet in Colorado

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:29:03 -0400

Howdy all;

Had a very nice night last night, the clouds are building up this
afternoon, so it may be our last for a while.

I had the TV 102 and the little refractor did a great job on some matched
pair double stars and the North American Nebula with the 35mm Panoptic and
2 inch UHC filter really brought out lots of detail.  I also sat in the
comfy chair and used the 10X50 Leupold binoculars for half an hour or so.
They provide great detail along the Milky Way, plenty of dark nebulae to
slice through the stars.

Tom and Jeannie Clark's 24 inch f/4.5 was also set up and had some
excellent views of NGC 6543, the planetary nebula in Draco.  It was neon
green.  The Veil Nebula showed an amazing amount of detail, like a taffy
pull.  Using a 26mm eyepiece and O III it was fascinating.  Early in the
evening we viewed a variety of galaxies in Virgo and Coma.  The Coma
Galaxy Cluster was truly fascinating, at least 75 galaxies within 1 or 2
degrees of the main galaxy pair.

All in all, a very fun evening.  We are leaving the Black Canyon
campground tomorrow morning and making our way to the Colorado Monument
site for the star party this weekend, then on to Utah and California.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe