[AZ-Observing] Re: Astrophotography

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:47:22 -0700

I agree with Rick, a small EQ mount could be a good solution.  Either
buy a used mount or one of several new mounts that are available, the
Orions being a good example.  It doesn't need to be very big to support
a camera, just decent quality.  One feature I would suggest is a polar
alignment scope, for wide angle a quick polar scope alignment is all you
need so setup is fast.

It is overkill, but several times recently I have brought my G11 mount
to serve as a camera platform while I use the 18" dob nearby.  I just
walk over every 10-15min to re-aim and advance the film.  I have an
aluminum plate I can put on top with lots of holes drilled in it to
mount a camera or two.  For the Leonids a few years ago I was running
two 35mm's as well as a borrowed video recorder with an image
intensifier on top.   As long as I don't go longer tham about 150-200mm
with a lens I never see a tracking error.

Andrew