[AZ-Observing] Re: Astronomy and Moths

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:57:21 -0700

George Barber wrote:

>Are moths attracted to wavelengths of ultraviolet light that we cannot
>detect?  If so, a suitable emitter would solve your problem.  You can
>purchase ultraviolet LED flashlights, which are still in our range of
>vision, but might not interfere with observing if set behind a shield and
>pointed away from your telescope.  They are great for spotting scorpions,
>too!

Yes, they are good for scorpions. When I was working for my B.S. degree
I worked a few months for a professor. In one night between the three of
us we would collect over a thousand in the Arizona deserts using these
lights. And yes, moths are attracted to this, but the problem with this
really 'black' light, is that prolonged exposure can damage the eye.
Hence, not too good an idea when one will be looking on a vertical sheet
with the light right in front. It is different with scorpions because
the light is pointed down, away from the eye.
Stan