[AZ-Observing] Re: Astronomy and Moths

  • From: George Barber <gbarber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:33:29 -0700

Are moths attracted to wavelengths of ultraviolet light that we cannot
detect?  If so, a suitable emitter would solve your problem.  You can
purchase ultraviolet LED flashlights, which are still in our range of
vision, but might not interfere with observing if set behind a shield and
pointed away from your telescope.  They are great for spotting scorpions,
too!

I doubt moths are attracted to infrared, otherwise I'd suggest that.  An
easy source of IR is a remote control, should you want to experiment.

George

             Stan Gorodenski
             <stanlep@commspee
             d.net>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  AZ-Observing
             az-observing-boun         <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             ce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/19/2009 01:15          [AZ-Observing] Astronomy and Moths
             PM

             Please respond to
             az-observing@free
                 lists.org

It just occurred to me that taking along my Meade 10" LXD75 when I go
out to collect moths at night would be a good complement. One problem
with collecting moths is that one sits and twiddles thumbs (unless there
is someone along as company, but usually I go out alone) waiting for
them to come in. Why not observe in the mean time? One problem with
doing this is that light is needed to collect moths which interferes
with observing. Some collectors use a mercury vapor light to attract
moths from long distances, but I just use a black light (a neon tube
about a foot long that produces a blue light) and my coleman white gas
lantern. What I could do is take along my portable observatory, but for
a one night stay it would be too much to drag along and set up. I could
buy one of the tent type portable observatories (that Ernie Williams
pioneered years ago which seems to have been forgotten, or never known,
by most). But then when I get to the site I have to 1) set up the sheet
and other associated equipment, 2) get the van in shape for a nights
sleep, 3) set up the tent portable observatory, 4) set up the LXD75, and
make my supper sometime in between all this.  Arrrgghh. Too much work.
Maybe if I live long enough our technology will produce a 'Stepford'
Companion (a take on 'Stepford Wives', remember the movie?) that can do
most of this stuff for me.
Stan