[AZ-Observing] Astro Misspellings

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TAAA Forum <taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:25:54 -0700

I am currently busily typing my observation notes into a database.
Arranging my notes in a format that can be more useful than piles of
pages in three ring notebooks.  Along the way my fumble fingers have
discovered some creative misspellings for common astronomical terms, a
couple of my favorites and proposed definitions I put here for your
amusement...

nagnitude (adj) A measure of the amount of nagging your spouse is
capable of while you are loading your vehicle for a night out.

magnidude (n) The guy who routinely uses the highest power possible with
his telescope/eyepiece combination without regard to seeing conditions
and says he can see details you cannot see with your telescope with
twice the aperture, he actually has a 2mm eyepiece and uses it with his
8" f/10 SCT.

apiral (adj) a rare form of galaxy with an appearance similar to a
beehive, possibly the result of an open cluster superimposed on a galaxy

The somewhat more edited results can be viewed at
http://www.siowl.com/Herschel400/herschel400.html
Or you can try http://www.siowl.com/Herschel400/h400query.php?40 and
change the number after the question mark to the desired NGC number for
a query to my MySQL database.  All of the Messier objects and H400
objects now have entries, most of them are even complete, it is the
scans of most of my drawings that now need to be done.

Andrew Cooper