[AZ-Observing] Re: Asteroid To Be Named After Trayvon Martin, Lowell Observatory

  • From: "Eric Steinberg" <eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:47:15 -0400

I didn’t want to wade into this topic, but I strongly agree with you.
Whatever one's opinion, the overarching issue is certainly extraordinarily
divisive. Given the increasing tendency for science to become politicized (i.e.
destroyed), I think it makes sense for people to let Lowell know that neither
politics, "social justice" nor any other meme-du-jour has any place in a
scientific institution, especially for its public face.

While it is inappropriate and off-topic to be discussing the Florida trial, I
think the group is a proper forum to at least let people know what's going on
vis-à-vis Lowell.

Eric