[AZ-Observing] Re: Asteroid To Be Named After Trayvon Martin, Lowell Observatory

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:11:44 -0500

I would like to avoid the whole Trayvon Martin issue. At least in my astronomy
activities.
BUT.... Lowell started this. And I do NOT think they should have.
And I let them know.
I made sure to say that I am not speaking on behalf of either group that I am a
member of (SAC / EVAC), but I do want them to know my feelings.
I think they have made a BIG mistake. They need to concentrate on science and
astronomy (IMHO).
Here is the email I sent to Lowell....
#########################
Ref:
Story about Lowell naming an asteroid for Trayvon Martin
Proposal By -- William Lowell Putnam III
http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/09/24047-asteroid-to-be-named-after-trayvon-martin/

I wish and hope that this email is forwarded to the executive office of Lowell,
and also a copy to Mr. Putnam.
If the basic information stated above is correct, then I am very displeased
with Lowell.

I am a member of two astronomy clubs in the Phoenix area. These are the Saguaro
Astronomy Club (SAC), and the East Valley Astronomy Club (EVAC).
I believe that Lowell should be familiar with both groups.
I recently voted in both groups to support financial support for a Lowell
project. If the above information is true, then I regret that decision.
I deeply regret it.

This email does NOT speak for these two groups. That is a job for its officers,
not me. And…. They may disagree. That is their prerogative.
But I wish my thoughts and feelings to have validity, so I mention it.

Lowell is a scientific entity. It is world famous, and very active in a field
that is my private passion… Astronomy.
I do not wish to get into the discussion of Trayvon Martin, or anything related
to him or the event.
And I do not think Lowell should becoming involved.
Lowell needs to stick to the field of science, and astronomy, and community
education in these fields.

If the information is true, then you should be aware that you have created
quite a stir in the two groups mentioned above.
And the stir seems to be causing a divide. A very troubling divide.
Shame on Lowell.
Hopefully it is not too late to abort this action.
David M. Douglass
dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (secondary)
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (main)
Cell  (602) 908-9092