[AZ-Observing] Re: Asteroid Coordinates

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:03:32 -0700

On 03/24/14 17:16, kevin.kozel@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone have knowledge of an easy and good website to go to  and get
> coordinates for asteroids for whatever date one plans on looking for them?
> I've been looking and can't find an easy one for rookie star gazer to go to.
> A site where you just enter the name or number of the object and date and
> WHAM! the RA and Dec are there for the taking.

  Others have answered your question, but in case you're interested,
I've put some charts on my website. Vesta will be very near Ceres
Saturday night, and both aren't too far from Mars. The 2 degree charts
are plotted both normally and mirrored. Use the latter if your telescope
has an odd number of reflections, e.g. refractor or Cassegrain with a
diagonal.

  Many planetarium programs can plot charts of minor planets. It's
important to update the orbital elements occasionally, since the
algorithms used generally rely upon osculating elements. My personal
preference for generating plots is XEphem, but I know that Cartes du
Ciel will do this as well.

  Here's hoping the list server doesn't mangle either the link or this
post...

                                -- Mike --

Link: http:tmckepsj.org/files/2014-03-30/
--