[AZ-Observing] Re: Arizona Observing?

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:04:55 -0700

Hey All,

Not having the years that some members do in this hobby, I may be a bit too
eager to say that in general, the only creatures to give us grief are ants
and mosquitos.  Gnats are an occasional annoyance.  Oh, yeah, Jack Jones
made friends with a large lizard at Flat Iron one time, but that ended
peacefully, so we never found out if it really tasted like chicken.  Coyotes
are present at a few sites, and get pretty close to us at Cherry Road
(judged by their howling), but as Chuck Akers said, it only adds to the
experience.

I have had a couple of experiences with rattlesnakes, but as previously
mentioned, they (usually) give warning, and if you go the other way, all is
well and good.  These snake encounters weren't even at observing sites, but
in the Phx mountain preserves.

If memory serves, AJ Crayon had a run in with a "hissing" object, but it
only served to increase adrenaline, and doesn't qualify as a creature
encounter.  Ask him about it sometime..... ;-)

FWIW, my experience (so far) is that Scorpions is a rock band from Germany,
and Diamondbacks are our baseball team.  Your milage may vary.

And remind me to not upset Joe Macke....he's a bit more twisted than I
originally thought.

Thad

Thad Robosson
Double star enthusiast
Member Saguaro Astronomy Club
ATM group chairman
Owner/operator Twin Points Observatory
33 27 N, 112 19 W
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

The use of your 'delete' key is authorized...