[AZ-Observing] Arizona Astronomy/Geology Society

  • From: "Chuck" <astrogeoc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Arizona Observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:29:26 -0700

The next meeting for AAGS will be Saturday August 4 same location at 7:00 PM.
Our speaker will be Dr. Steve Odewahn.  The title of his talk will be
"Searching the Universe for the Perfect Bar"!         i.e.: Galaxy

Dr. Odewahn is an astronomer at Arizona State University whose research deals
with the formation and evolution of galaxies. This largely involves the
development of automated image analysis methods for classifying galaxy images
taken with the Hubble Space Telescope and Keck Observatory.  He is presently
doing analysis in search of  distant Bar Galaxies and will be updating these
findings with us.

As a follow-up to Dr. Burstein's cosmology presentation last month, which was
difficult for most to grasp, there will also be a more understandable
presentation of cosmology via video entitled "Runaway Universe".  Time will be
set aside following that viewing for discussion with Dr. Odewahn prior to his
talk.

Weather permitting a 12" S/C telescope will be in operation following the
meeting for viewing Mars and other objects in competition with the Moon.

Location:  1444 N. Recker,  Alta Vista Apartments Clubhouse  (Recker and Brown
area, Mesa)

Visitors are welcome and memberships encouraged. We have plenty of room but
please let me know of your attendance so seating can be setup and refreshments
made available.  Call 480-985-8824 or email astrogeoc@xxxxxxxxx

Note 1:  Anyone interested in joining a beginner's class in
            astrophotography may sign up at our meeting.

Note 2:  Anyone with anything to swap or sell may bring it to
            the meeting.  A table will be provided for those
            items to be viewed.

FUTURE SCHEDULE

September Speaker - Dr. Per Annastead, ASU astronomer
October Speaker     - Dr. Paul Scowen, ASU astronomer
November Speaker  - Dr. Mathew Fouch, ASU seismologist
December              -  Christmas Party (speaker to be
                                named)

Chuck    Moderator

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.