[AZ-Observing] Re: April 11, 1533 9 30

  • From: kellerjt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: RGP14159@xxxxxxx, AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:42:29 -0700

I know this is off topic.  I'm sorry.  Thanks so much for everyone's
response direct to me with this personal barely related to astronomy
project.  So many great astronomers in Arizona!  I love this place!

April 11, 1533 9 30 appears on a painting done by Holbein (the younger)
called The Ambassadors.  It appears in two places, once on a sundial and
once on a calendar.  The astronomical/astrological (then the same)
instruments that appear in this painting belonged to King Henry VIII's
astronomer/astrologer (how embarrassing), Nicolaus Kratzer.  Holbein also
did a painting of Kratzer making the Sundial-- a strange polyhedral (sp)
affair.

The painting also has a metamorphosis in it.  There is a disk painted at the
bottom that if you look at the painting in it at a certain angle it comes
together into a skull.

Anyway I was just kind of lost into this different kind of armchair
astronomy, getting a fix until the weather cleared so I was researching
this, prompted by a good friend, artist, from Budapest, Istvan Orosz.  Check
out his work on the internet!

So in my research I found that Geographer Reiner Gemma Frisius published
this idea that if you know Clock or Mechanical Time, you can figure
longitude with the Sun Time.  He is the first known person to point this out
in his 1533 edition of De principis astronomiae et cosmographie.   This of
course was the right idea, but not perfected for a few hundred more years
with the Harrison Clocks.

Anyway, I am thinking maybe the Calendar is to represent Mechanical Clock
Time and the Sundial is to represent Sun Time.  And the discovery of how to
calculate longitude is the secret message in this painting.  Having the
secret of longitude in 1533 would give your country an enormous amount of
power.

I was also thinking maybe some huge astronomical event occurred then, or
cool planetary alignment.  I was thinking maybe the 9 30 could be r.a. or a
meridian of longitude.

I don't know what the Prime Meridian was then,  I don't think it was
Greenwich.

Thanks to all of you who replied direct to me.  I promise, next bought of
bad weather, I'll work on my telescope or something!

Jennifer the PEST!