[AZ-Observing] Re: Anyone see the Quadrantids?

  • From: "Doug Snyder" <starhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 17:07:13 -0700

I have submitted, but not yet been posted nor accepted, one Quadrantid photo
that I grabbed at 0456 MST to Spaceweather.com. It was one of only three
that I managed to capture with a Canon 20Da.  I took a total of 71 wide
field (zoom set to 30mm) images from 1 am to twilight, and only the three
had a solo meteor.  Yes, here it was very cool and windy (west of Bisbee,
close to the border). My exposures were mostly 4 minutes each.
I also saw a fair number visually, mostly Quadrantids, but not an impressive
amount for sure.  I guess maybe folks near the coast had more activity.

Doug Snyder
www.astronomyyear2009.com

From: sam@xxxxxxxxxxx <sam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 11:19 AM

I got up at 5:15 this morning and saw two right away, so I went back in to
roust my 6 year old daughter and took her up to our observation deck in the
foothills area of Tucson. She and I counted 21 in just about 20 minutes.
There were three that were fairly bright (brighter than Arcturus) and all
had very short tracks, none lasting more than a half second.

-Sam