[AZ-Observing] Re: Anyone see the Quadrantids?

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 16:34:47 -0700

You might be interested to see what I used in my own (futile) attempt to
capture the Leonids back in 2001.  Image available here:

http://www.heimhenge.com/downloads/setup.jpg

The hemispherical "safety" mirror was cheaper than a fisheye, and really
highly reflective.  Unfortunately, my camcorder (an older Sony digital 8)
didn't have anywhere near the sensitivity required.  We saw many meteors
that night naked eye, but only the brightest one was visible on tape ... and
that one just barely.

Anyone needing a cool 24" diameter hemispherical safety mirror, you know
where to find me.  I'll let it go for $20.  :)

Dan Heim
President
Desert Foothills Astronomy Club
http://www.dfacaz.org