[AZ-Observing] Re: Any Advice?

  • From: jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:17:04 -0700

Observing is a great stress reducer and is why I love to go out, far as I
can get from Phoenix. Would be a shame to never get the scope (and me) out
away from air/light/noise pollution. You need to take up a physical hobby
now, like I have cycling, to complement your sedentary pursuits.

Packing up I always thought was the big time investment, but when I finally
timed myself on loading up/setting up the scope, it was under 5 minutes
each. So why does it seem so long? I guess because I wish I was already out
there and set up.

Rectangular magnifiers are a good idea, and I found them at Harbor Freight
(35th&Bethany) for a couple bucks. Also flat plastic magnifiers work good
and I have four or five because they also make good bookmarks. The fonts
used in some starcharts are atrocious, 5s look like 6s, which look like 8s,
which look like 9s. Helvetica or Ariel may look nice for letters, but are
bad on numbers. Verdana or Century Gothic have much clearer numbers. Now I
have a laptop with Megastar so I don't lug the books anymore. I can set the
font AND their sizes myself.

Jack