[AZ-Observing] Re: Antennas report

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:01:45 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 We had interesting weather here tonight. It was cloudy and
windy all day. The clouds would dissipate early in the evening, but the winds
persisted, then the clouds would move in again, then move out once more with a
threat to move in when I decided to call it a night at 4am. Since it was so
windy, probably about 20-30mph out of the west, it wasn't possible to use my
big scope since it acts like a sail. Instead I decided to scan around the
winter Milky Way with my 20x100 binoculars. Despite the winds, the views,
especially of the many open clusters (Messier and NGC) in the area east of
Orion, were wonderful! The binos are solidly mounted on an alt-az type mount
and there was little or no shaking in the image and the stars were pinpoints. I
also took a look at the Messier OC's in Auriga and Gemini. These binoculars are
the perfect instrument for these type of objects, IMHO. The clusters that have
a mix of bright and faint stars, like M41, M35, and M47, in particular, give a
strong 3-dimensional impression since you are using both of your eyes when
viewing, making for a very pleasureable experience. The magnification and
aperture of these binoculars are adequate to resolve the clusters, see their
outline, and you see the objects in context with their surrounding environment
which include dark nebulae, stellar chains, double stars, and, of course, the
magnificent background stars of the distant Milky Way. The clouds moved in and
interrupted any more binocular viewing. So I went inside and watched the
Australian Open tennis tournament for awhile until I dozed off for about an
hour. When I woke back up I went back outside to find clear skies once again.
This time I decided to roll out the big scope since the winds had died down a
little and I was able to set up in an area that was shaded somewhat from the
wind. I spent an hour or so more scanning around for galaxies in the Virgo
area. I had a nice view of M104 and many other fainter NGC galaxies in the
general vicinity to the north of it. Clouds again started to move in from the
northeast along with some haziness so I finally closed shop after an enjoyable,
though interrupted night. The temperatures never went below 40 degrees and
there wasn't any noticeable humidity (which had been an issue the past week)
while I was outside tonight, not bad for winter observing!
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)