[AZ-Observing] Re: Antennas on Saturday night

  • From: Tim Jones <tjmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:12:33 -0700

Hi Wayne,

Actually, I think it was the ephemeris data that I had.  90mm and 5.9 Mag
should have been quite compatible.  However, based on the models at
Astronomy.com, Vesta should have been further East compared to what I was
seeing (Algieba and LM 40 were centered in the eyepiece), so that combined with
the fact that other objects were coming up dead center is why I suspect the
ephemeris data.

You "should" be able to spot it as it's at Mag 6 or so.  a couple of views at 2
hour intervals should show enough relative motion to identify Vesta.

Here's what is reported for tonight at 20:30 and 21:00 according to
Astronomy.com's Stardome Plus:

Time                     Right Asc     Declination   Azimuth    Altitude
Magn.
20:30 Vesta       10h20m20s   19°30'37"   88°05'01"   34°20'33"    5.9
21:00 Vesta       10h20m21s   19°30'27"   84°11'26"   28°04'40"    5.9

And, these are almost 1' 30" in both RA and Dec different than the same times
as provided by JPL's ephemeris generator.  Granted, I'm using a generic
"Phoenix, Az" instead of a more precise Lat/Long, but 1' 30" for the same
location???  Does anyone else have tonight's info to compare?  We suspect that
this is a difference caused by J2000 versus JNow values.  Anyone else?

Tim