[AZ-Observing] Antares Occultation Sunday

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:50:46 -0400

Last night, Glenn Nishimoto told me about an upcoming Antares occultation this
coming Sunday night.  While the event might not seem exciting, the
circumstances in Arizona are very favorable for backyard observing.  From
Phoenix, Antares disappears on the dark limb at 8:32 p.m., and reappears at
9:16.  Antares will be nearly due south at these times.

The reappearance of the 5th-magnitude companion of Antares should be visible 5
to 10 seconds before the 1st magnitude star, unfortunately against the bright
limb of the waxing gibbous moon.

The graze path runs from roughly Albuquerque through the Four Corners.  If only
I were unemployed, I'd make a drive up to Mexican Hat, Utah to watch it.

Tom