[AZ-Observing] Another May of clear nights

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 23:42:04 -0700 (MST)

     Since it's obvious what the sky is like tonight, I can close out the
nighttime cloudiness file for another May.  In Flagstaff at least we came
out slightly above average for clear nights---half the nights were cloudfree
dusk-to-dawn---but well within the typical range, which is about 13 +/- 5 clear
nights during May over the last 24 years.
     We probably have another month or six weeks of this before the much-
desired monsoon arrives (if,when).

\Brian

May 2002 - Flagstaff Nighttime Cloudiness

1    photom (8,3)
2    photom (8,4)  [Winterstorm 35]
3    photom (8,5)
4    photom (8,6)
5    photom (8,6)
6    photom (8,7)
7    partial (5,5)
8    photom (8,8)
9    cloudy
10   photom (8,8)
11   photom (8,8)
12   photom (8,8)
13   spectro
14   photom (8,8)
15   spectro
16   photom (7,4)
17   photom (7,3)
18   partial (5,0)
19   spectro
20   cloudy  [Winterstorm 36]
21   spectro
22   photom (7,0)
23   photom (7,0)
24   cloudy
25   cloudy
26   partial (5,0)
27   partial (4,0)
28   partial (6,0)
29   partial (5,0)
30   photom (7,3)
31   cloudy

photom    16   clr hrs      153
partial    6   clr/dk hrs    86
spectro    4   mean consec  2.3
cloudy     5   max consec     6

Definitions:

Photometric  -  cloudfree dusk-to-dawn.
Partial  -  at least 3 consecutive cloudfree hours during the night.
Spectroscopic  -  less than about 1 mag. extinction throughout the night.
Cloudy  -  cloudy.

Clear+Dark Hours = photometric hours with moon absent.
Mean Consec = mean number of consecutive photometric nights during the month.
Max Consec = maximum number of consecutive photometric nights during the month.

messages.  Thanks.