[AZ-Observing] Another Big Balloon On Its Way

  • From: "tpolakis@xxxxxxx" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 18:58:18 -0400

Brian Skiff informed me that Becky Ramatowski informed him of another
approaching balloon that was launched from Fort Sumner, NM.  The real-time
path plot can be found here.

http://towerfts.csbf.nasa.gov/GoogleMaps/ConvGps.htm

If it keeps moving at its current rate, it should be just west of Prescott
at sunset.  If you're in Phoenix, it might appear low in the
north-northwest sky.

Like the last one, this is not a weather balloon, rather, it's an astronomy
balloon.  The purpose of this payload is to measure polarization of the
cosmic microwave background radiation.  And if that sentence seemed like I
know what I'm talking about, I got it here:

http://groups.physics.umn.edu/cosmology/ebex/

Tom